Guide on how to clean a mattress: You don’t just sleep on your mattress , you have breakfast or a snack with the children, they play there, sometimes pets climb… In short, the mattress lives and dirty. To help you maintain it, here are our Guide Bedding tips .
How to clean a stained mattress?
There are lots of methods to clean your mattress, choose the one that best suits you from this list! They can also be suitable for a mattress topper .
Cleaning with ammonia
- The recipe: mix a few drops of dishwashing liquid and a coffee cup of ammonia with 1 to 2 liters of water.
- Clean: remember to protect the skin of your hands with gloves for cleaning. Use a sponge or cloth, which you soak with the previously made solution. Rub the entire surface of the mattress, paying particular attention to the stained areas.
- Rinse: for this, use a washcloth soaked in clear water and wrung out. If the glove becomes colored, continue with another.
- Dry the mattress with the hair dryer set to a warm temperature.
Warning ! To be able to fall asleep the same evening on your mattress without being bothered by the smell of the product, clean it in the morning. Also leave the windows open throughout cleaning and drying, so as not to get intoxicated with ammonia fumes.
Clean a mattress with soda crystals
- The recipe: mix two tablespoons of soda with 2 liters of hot water. Stir well to homogenize the preparation.
- Clean: soak a sponge with this solution and wring it out thoroughly. Rub over the entire surface of the mattress.
- Rinse: with a washcloth soaked in clear water.
- Dry: here again, use the hair dryer in a warm position. Then sprinkle the mattress with talcum powder, which will absorb bad odors. Leave on for 8 hours, then vacuum.
Warning ! Although they are much less abrasive than ammonia, the soda crystals can attack the skin. Use household gloves to clean your mattress!
Clean a with white vinegar
This solution is probably the most ecological, think about it if the others seem too aggressive!
- The recipe: in a bowl, mix 500 ml of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid with 200 ml of warm water.
- Clean: soak a sponge with this solution then wring it out. Rub the surface of the mattress with, proceeding in a 20 cm square.
- Rinse: with a time glove moistened with clear water.
- Dry: use a dry washcloth, which you will rub over the entire surface of the mattress.
Did you know ? White vinegar also exists in the form of a gel, which is very practical to use.
Cleaning the mattress with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
It is not for nothing that baking soda is often used in grandmother’s recipes, it is very easy to use and for everything!
- The recipe: mix half a liter of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 4 tablespoons of baking soda. After shaking the mixture well, put it in a spray bottle and add a drop of washing up liquid.
- Clean: spray the solution over the entire surface of the mattress. Then sprinkle with a little baking soda. Leave on all day or put the mattress in the sun.
- It is not necessary to rinse.
- Vacuum to remove traces of bicarbonate.
Can you clean your mattress with a steam cleaner?
You can absolutely use a steam cleaner, but in view of the risk / benefit balance, we do not recommend it. Indeed, this tool is only effective if the mattress is not stained, and above all, if it wets the mattress too much, halos can form. On the other hand, the use of the steam cleaner is advisable to get rid of bedbugs and their bites .
How to clean a urine stain?
If possible, rinse these spots off immediately with lukewarm water . If you cannot, dab the pee stain with a cloth soaked in ammonia , which you will have previously diluted with a few drops of water. If you don’t have ammonia, use hydrogen peroxide. Rinse thoroughly with clean water and pat dry.
This technique also works to clean up vomit stains.
How to clean alcohol and wine stains
Mix equal parts of water and household alcohol and scrub the stain with a sponge. If the stain has just been made, a cloth dampened with water and washing-up liquid or Marseille soap may suffice.
How to clean a mattress from Cigarette burns
Yes, you can make them disappear, provided they are not too important. You just have to rub them with a cloth soaked in oxygenated water at 20 volumes. Rinse a first time with a mixture of water and bleach, then a second time with lukewarm water.
How to clean a mattress from coffee stains?
To remove this type of very dark stain, use an equal part mixture of water and household alcohol . If you do not have one on hand, you can use an equal mixture of white vinegar and 90 ° alcohol. Rinse with clear water and dry thoroughly.
How to remove chocolate stains?
First try to remove them with cold water. If they do not go away, rub them with a cotton cloth soaked in benzine or alcohol. Rinse with clear water and dry thoroughly
How to remove ink or pen stains on a mattress?
Nothing is better than lemon juice to remove ink stains, which you pour directly onto it, taking care not to over-wet the mattress. Rub and rinse with clear water.
Hair spray also works well on ink stains. You just need to spray it on the stain, then tap with absorbent paper until the stain disappears. If none of its solutions worked on your ink stain, use an equal parts mixture of 90 ° alcohol or white vinegar and water.
How to clean up stains from excrement?
Cat urine or other animal excrement, rinse immediately with lukewarm water. If you find out too late, use a cloth dampened with ammonia or oxygenated water.
How to clean moisture stains on a mattress?
- Make a paste with 30 grams of grated white soap, 30 grams of starch and 15 grams of fine salt, to which you will add the juice of a lemon.
- Apply this paste on the stain
- leave on for at least one hour
How to remove a milk stain?
Use a cloth dampened with a little ammonia. This technique also works for moldy stains.
How to clean a grease stain from a mattress?
- Pour talc on the stain and put on it a good thickness of absorbent paper.
- Then put a hot iron on the whole, the paper will absorb the fat. Remove the residues by sprinkling them with Sommières earth.
- Remember to rinse well and dry thoroughly.
For oily stains due to sebum, use Sommières earth.
How to clean and remove blood stains?
- Use a cloth dampened with alcohol vinegar.
- Rinse thoroughly with a glove moistened with clear water.
- Dry with the hair dryer set to a low temperature.
How to remove perspiration stains?
- Use a cloth dampened with ammonia water.
- Leave on for at least an hour. Gently brush,
- Rinse with clear water and dry with a hair dryer.
How to remove bad smells from the mattress?
This time again, baking soda will be your best ally! Prepare a solution containing:
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- + 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide
- + 2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid
- + 2 cups of warm water + a few drops of essential oil of your choice.
Spray this mixture on the mattress and let it dry. Bad smells magically fly away in a few hours!
Above all, protect your mattress!
As you may have noticed, it is not very easy to clean a mattress, which is why it is in your best interest to protect it from night sweat, liquids and stains. To do this, use a mattress protector, a draw sheet and sheets.
You can also spray Texguard, an anti-stain product.
What is the mattress protector?
It is actually a cover, the function of which is revealed in its name: it protects the mattress. It can be either fabric or waterproof canvas.
In fabric, it can be either a soft fleece, ideal for winter nights, or an absorbent sponge, which will be more suitable in summer. Some of these materials can be treated with anti-mites.
In waterproof canvas, it is designed from PVC or polyurethane, the latter material being more breathable. The waterproof mattress protector is ideal for mattresses for babies, young children or adults who sweat profusely at night.
Above, we think of putting a fitted sheet for more comfort.
Vacuum your mattress regularly!
Even protected, your mattress remains a nest conducive to bacterial proliferation, which can give rise to allergies in sleepers. To protect yourself against this scourge, vacuum the mattress directly at least twice a month.
If after trying everything to clean your mattress nothing works you can also buy a new mattress. However, the question will then be how to choose your mattress .